Militaria1940
Bienvenue sur le forum Militaria1940, consacré au Militaria Français de 1940 !
Avant tout message, pensez à vous présenter dans la partie "Présentez-vous" !

Militaria1940

Forum consacré à l'uniformologie et l'Histoire de l'armée Française de 1939/40

AccueilGalerieS'enregistrerConnexion

Partagez | 

Owning Weapons in France

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
Grabenkater
Soldat de 2e Classe
Soldat de 2e Classe

MessageSujet: Owning Weapons in France   Jeu 11 Mar 2010, 19:58

I am just curious if there are restrictions on owning "live" rifles in France. Do most of you have deactivated or live weapons?

Thanks!
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Loïc
Administrateur
Administrateur

MessageSujet: Re: Owning Weapons in France   Jeu 11 Mar 2010, 20:27

In France, if you're not a soldier, you can't have a "live" weapon. Or you must have a firing licence, but I think it is hard to get it, because you've to pass lots of exams.

In USA, you're more free about that.

My Berthier mdl16 is a desactivated weapon, i don't want to buy live weapons...
Grabenkater
Soldat de 2e Classe
Soldat de 2e Classe

MessageSujet: Re: Owning Weapons in France   Jeu 11 Mar 2010, 20:32

Merci Loïc!

I was curious, since my experience with weapons in Europe is only with my family in Switzerland. Are bayonets regulated also?
Loïc
Administrateur
Administrateur

MessageSujet: Re: Owning Weapons in France   Jeu 11 Mar 2010, 20:41

Bayonets are regulated like cooking cuts. We can hold it but only during reenactment days.
In France, the Government feared lots of hold-ups with Lebel and Berthier...

That's unbelievably... But we can't do anything !
Grabenkater
Soldat de 2e Classe
Soldat de 2e Classe

MessageSujet: Re: Owning Weapons in France   Jeu 11 Mar 2010, 20:49

Interesting! There are places here in the US that regulate firearms and weapons, such as bayonets and swords. However, it is not very common as it is in Europe.

I appreciate the information.
LouisThury
Sous-lieutenant
Sous-lieutenant

MessageSujet: Re: Owning Weapons in France   Jeu 11 Mar 2010, 22:27

but, by the way, black powder guns (all CW weapons for example including colt or remington revolvers ) are completely free ...
LSKIV
Soldat de 1ère classe
Soldat de 1ère classe

MessageSujet: Re: Owning Weapons in France   Jeu 11 Mar 2010, 22:34

Yep, shoulder weapon, need a hunter licence with a exam to pass needed to knows all Hunting Laws and genders of animals. BTW you won't be allowed to purchase a Military caliber, like for a M16/M4 a 222 instead of a 223/5.56, the weapon won't be semi-auto and won't have bayonet lugs. Was a time you could have 30 rds mag' but not anymore 5 or 10 at least. Hunting will not be made with military weapons who are restricted to Mil/Leos, civies are forbidden to own Army stuffs. No full auto of course. Hunter guns, even riot/pump gun will have a 3 cartridges guns tubular mags.
For handgun need a sporting licence, Medical/mental exam, 6 months in probation in a civie handgun shooting club, beganning with steel caps and 22 Lr. single shot and you could have the support of the president of the club to asked to the State's administration for a licence. Not allowed to shoot elsewhere than in the club, most of time Revolver, lucky if you re get a licence for a automatic pistol. Or you knows "someone" who could have you more "privilege".
Need a safe to stock all your weapons.
Parts and ammos are restricted to people with licences.
If my memories are good.

In 2004, for D'Day remembering in Normandie and visit of POTUS/G. W. Bush, locals authorities asked to renactors to not carry Bayonet/Combat Knife/Even molded Mk2 Handgrenade nor deactivated/replica weapons...

My white horse for a CCW in Ky
Grabenkater
Soldat de 2e Classe
Soldat de 2e Classe

MessageSujet: Re: Owning Weapons in France   Ven 12 Mar 2010, 14:02

Thank you for all of the responses.
Metrocab
Soldat de 2e Classe
Soldat de 2e Classe

MessageSujet: Live Firearms   Mar 13 Nov 2012, 20:13

I can add some details based on my own experience.

As a collector and shooter of historic firearms (let's be precise, I do not use them as "weapons"), I recoil in horror every time I see one of these rare historical artefacts cut up and welded, even in a museum. There are ways of making a Lebel inoffensive without destroying it (simply remove the firing pin, for example). When I read on the Forum of a rarer than rare Berthier M-34 cut up I wept.

In a hundred years time enthusisasts will look back on collectors of deactivated firearms as vandals.

Enough of my crusade.

If you wish to own a firearm which is currently classed as an "arme de guerre", such as an M16, Garand, Tokarev or even the ancient Lebel, you need to obtain permission from your local Prefecture. Full-auto firearms are not permitted, unfortunately. The permit to acquire and hold is free. You must be a member of a sporting shooters club, and keep both your membership and your regular shooting record up-to-date. To join a club you must make yourself known, to be able to be sponsored by an existing member. You must also demonstrate a knowledge of firearm use and safety procedures. Club membership costs around 90 Euros depending where you live, including insurance cover.

If a firearm is classed as a historical artefact, i.e. no longer legally a "firearm" under the law, for example the Modèle 1873 Revolver, and the Gras rifle, you can order them by post, and freely hold them. Not to be openly carried in a public place, naturally!

For re-enacting, obviously you need to act sensibly and handle your firearms in a non-threatening manner etc. Be aware, however, that many military vehicles such as a Jeep with an MG mount are also classed as dangerous weapons of war and may need local approval before use!

Hope this helps.

Metrocab
Metrocab
Soldat de 2e Classe
Soldat de 2e Classe

MessageSujet: Revision   Sam 17 Nov 2012, 14:33

Oops, for "M16" in my list, substitute "M1 Carbine". I had gotten carrried away thinking of the laws in Luxembourg, where collectors can acquire full-auto firearms as long as they undertake not to fire them full-auto! Being decent law-abiding citizenry, this somehow seems to work there...
The M16 is, of course, a selective fire arm.
Metrocab
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Owning Weapons in France   Aujourd'hui à 21:14

Owning Weapons in France
Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
Page 1 sur 1